Since the start of 2022, I’ve been on a mission to revive my health both physically and mentally (you can read more about how it started here). For a full year I didn’t make any intentional changes to my nutrition or lifestyle and focused instead on working out most days to sweat (the best detox), build strength, and grow confidence. A year in, after hitting a plateau in my workouts, I started increasing my protein intake (shared my go-to’s here). A couple months later, frustrated with bad sleep (especially around the start of my cycle) and brain fog, I stopped drinking alcohol. I actually hate that it’s true (because I LOVE wine), but this solved about 50% of my issues. A few months later, in an attempt to give my adrenals and nervous system a break, I cut out most of my caffeine intake, which also did wonders (again, so sad, lol). While decaf coffee is just not the same (sigh), I do not miss the afternoon crash!
But that’s not what this post is about. Instead I just wanted to acknowledge where my humble “bio-hacking” journey began and share a workout plan for the rest of fall and early winter. Most importantly I want to encourage anyone who needs a push… You are not alone. Keep it simple. Focus on progress over perfection. Move. Get outside. Get started. And remember that results come in many forms and take time… Lucky for us, we’re playing the long game.
- ENDURANCE: Fall just seems like the right time of year to build endurance. Currently trying to get 3 runs in a week. 2 medium distance (3.5 miles), 1 short at a challenging pace (or intervals at the track), and will hopefully add a longer run on Saturdays, in the next couple weeks (when Poppy’s soccer season ends)!
- WEIGHTS: Slowly building an at home gym area in our (currently) crowded garage (see below). Asking Santa for a few new hand weights, a sturdy bench, mirror, and foam flooring. Been doing 1 lower body, 1 upper body, and 1 full body workout per week and usually do my interval run on an upper body day.
- BARRE: One of the classes I miss taking the most! Love following Colleen’s videos (my friend and past instructor) here or one of these!
Because of the nature of Johan’s job, the inconsistency of my job, and motherhood in general, each week will look different, but here’s my general plan.
- MONDAY: medium run & leg day
- TUESDAY: barre class (online)
- WEDNESDAY: active recovery (walk or stretch)
- THURSDAY: medium run
- FRIDAY: full body day
- SATURDAY: active recover (play with the kids)
- SUNDAY: upper body & interval run
FAVE WORKOUT GEAR:
FAVE (COLD WEATHER) RUNNING GEAR:
In closing I just want to add that there isn’t a single thing in my life that hasn’t improved since investing more time and intention on my physical health. My marriage, parenting, mental health, our home, finances, etc. all better than they were 2 years ago. Momentum did that. And it started with one commitment and one goal in mind which was to not let our life circumstances get the best of me. The best of me belongs to my kids, husband, family, friends, community, this space, and God. Why would I want to waste it on anything else!?
Who and what deserves the best of you!? What does the best you, look like, feel like (especially health-wise), how does she move, love, serve?! Invest in that. Invest in you.