I appreciate a day or two of being cooped up and hunkered down with the kids due to weather, but it’s not long before everyone (myself included) starts bouncing off the walls! Since the forecast is calling for rain-magedon over the next week in the Pacific Northwest, I figured it was time to get reacquainted with some of our favorite rainy day activities. Here are the ones that come to mind:
- READING! Other than at bedtime, it usually takes making a fun reading space with cozy pillows, a snack, the fireplace on and/or a fort to get my kids to buy in and settle down, but once they do, it’s the best.
- OPEN GYM – at our local gymnastics places.
- KID’S MUSEUMS + OTHER LOCAL INDOOR ACTIVITIES – always asking friends or scrolling through red tricycle and parent map for ideas, events and pop-ups.
- COFFEE SHOP DATE – trying a new place is always fun!
- MATINEE MOVIE – much like reading, a daytime movie can feel like a special treat when there are yummy snacks, family room forts, and lots of snuggles involved. Looking forward to the days when everyone can go watch (and actually sit) at a movie theater!
- BALLOON VOLLEYBALL – or anything involving not letting the balloon touch the ground.
- HOT LAVA – if you haven’t played before — lay pillows and oversized stuffed animals strategically around the room and jump around, being careful not to touch the ground.
- FORT BUILDING
- BAKING or CRAFTING – a few favorites, t.p. binoculars, god’s eye, animal charms, straw windpipes, candy wrapper bracelet, and rain maker.
- INDOOR SNOWBALL FIGHT – using foam balls, ball pit balls or balled up socks.
- GO NOODLE or other kid exercise activities like yoga on youtube. Clear the furniture in the family room, layout yoga mats and get the wiggles out!
- SENSORY BINS
- PLAY DOUGH, PUZZLES, + BOARD GAMES – all classics, but boardgames don’t usually happen unless I can sit with them the entire time and Poppy is napping :)
- CARDBOARD BOX DECORATING
- MAKE FUNNY VIDEOS or TAKE SILLY PICTURES with tablets
- HOST A PLAYDATE
- GET CAUGHT UP on CHORES
- LOOOONG TUBBIES
- SCAVENGER HUNTS or EGG HUNTS
I tend to handle indoor days better when I have a running list of activities to draw from and would love any ideas you guys have to add!
Long live the weekend… even if we do end up being cooped up!