It’s time to use up all the sequins leftovers from our confetti bracelet diy! When I first dreamt up these fun glittery coin pouches I imagined the kids filling them with knick-knacks and concession money for days at the pool or baseball field. Considering those things won’t play as big of a part in our summer this year made finishing these cuties low on my to do list… mostly because it made me think more about how much we would be missing out on this summer and who needs that kind of a buzz-kill!?! But as I started laying out all the supplies and chatting with the kids my attitude and thoughts slowly started to adjust. Turns out there’s a lot not canceled (as they say) and lots of ways to use these pouches. Sleepovers, road trips, and walks to Dairy Freeze, to name a few!
Funny how taking that next step, especially when you don’t feel like it for one reason or another, can change everything. Also funny how such a simple little project can remind me of that. So if you’re feeling a little disappointed, this is the project for you! My next task will be making something Hawaii-ish so maybe I’ll stop pouting about our cancelled trip, lol.
DIY GLITTER COIN PURSE – A sew and no-sew project!
- sequins and/or glitter
- a vinyl shower curtain or other clear vinyl
- sewing machine + thread or duct tape
- a ruler, pencil, + card stock to make a pattern
- MAKE YOUR PATTERN + CUT VINYL: Cut a rectangle from card stock. Ours was approx 7″ wide by 12″ long. Just keep in mind you’ll need room for the seems and you can trim off any access. Use your pattern to cut two pieces of vinyl per pouch.
- SEW (OR TAPE): Layer vinyl on top of each other and sew (or tape!) along sides and bottom — leaving the top open so you can fill with glitter/sequins! HOT TIP: if you’re sewing make sure your stitch length – – – – – is short so the glitter doesn’t fall through the seam.
- FILL WITH GLITTER + SEQUINS: Sprinkle in as much glitter and sequins as your little heart desires, but less is sometimes more :)
- SEW/TAPE CLOSED + ARRANGE SEQUINS/GLITTER: Sew or tape the top of your vinyl closed, then lay flat and spread the glitter and sequins out.
- FOLD INTO AN ENVELOPE + FINISH SEWING/TAPING UP: If sewing, trim the top and bottom of of your pouch as desired. Fold the bottom up about 2/3 of the way and the top down 1/3 of the way, making sure the top overlaps the bottom like an envelope! Sew sides in place and trim or tape in place, and you’re done!
We went a little overboard with the sequins on our first try :)
What project would you like to see next!? More sewing? Kid craft? Or a grownup craft/DIY?