Over the weekend we pulled Tilly’s old play kitchen out of retirement in the attic and gave it a fresh new look for Poppy. As I should have anticipated, Tilly was not fond of handing her (all-of-a-sudden) beloved kitchen down to her baby sis let alone remodeling it. Poor girl had lots to say including, “You’re judging my kitchen’s look. How rude!”
Change is not a friend of hers and the colorful + (turn your head so she doesn’t see you giggle) funny comments continued while we took things apart, sanded and painted but when she came home from school on Monday to a reno’ed kitchen she was smitten. I was relieved that no therapy would be needed.
I think we purchased the kitchen from Target but IKEA has a similar option (this one) that would be extra cute with a little paint. Love the microwave!
Here’s how we did it:
- Take it most of the way apart and remove knobs, sink, faucet, etc.
- Spray paint all of the accessories gold (or other color).
- Remove the stove top and sand the countertop. Then paint, spray paint or cover with contact paper.
- Sand everything (no matter how tempting — don’t skip the sanding!) that is getting painted and tape off what is not. Let dry.
- Paint or spray anything that needs another coat and let dry.
- For the pot and utensil rod, open up “S” hooks from the hardware store and spray paint.
- Put everything back together and start playing!!!
We took a trip to IKEA yesterday (outtakes on snap chat at raeannkelly) to stock up on a few new kitchen accessories and then made room in the bottom drawer under the stairs to store the overflow and make cleanup easy.
As much as I love a kid-friendly and inspired home, bigger toys that can’t be put away or shoved in a basket aren’t my favorite. Atleast not in our downstairs. But this kitchen is now less of an eyesore and more of a cute accessory that keeps the kids occupied for chunks of time.
I’ve never met a play kitchen my kids didn’t like but I think Johan and I like this one equally. It looks a lot like my dream kitchen — navy, white and gold! #kitchengoals
Do you know of any other hand-me-down toys that are fun to makeover!?