With the exception of my kids, this Arugula Quinoa Salad, might be my best creation. The individual flavors are good, but together they are magic. Fresh lemon, chopped arugula, and tasty pesto all balanced out by cooked quinoa, olive oil, and crunchy pepitas (pumpkin seeds). Add diced salami, chicken, or steak (yum), and you have a hearty side or full meal, as well as leftovers that still taste good the next day. All of which, makes this the MVP of salads (imo)… Just be sure to use a pesto that you love!
Leave a note in the comments (or @raeannkelly) if you try this recipe! It always makes my day!
SOURCES: LEMON SQUEEZER (a must), WORKING GLASSES, MARBLE CHEESE GRATER, GLASS PREP BOWLS, KITCHEN TOWEL, LATTE BOWL, PINK MELAMINE MIXING BOWL
THE LIFE CHANGING ARUGULA, QUINOA, AND PESTO SALAD RECIPE
- 5 ounces arugula, chopped (I know it's tempting but do not sleep on the chopping!)
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (about 2/3 cup uncooked)
- 8 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds or pine nuts
- 3 tablespoons pesto (or more to taste)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil (or more to taste)
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- shredded parmesan, to top
- salt and pepper, to taste (optional)
- salami, chicken, or meat of choice – cut to bite-sized pieces (optional)
- Prep ingredients! In a small bowl or glass, whisk together pesto, olive oil, and lemon juice.
- In a large bowl, combine arugula (or sub with spring mix), quinoa, tomatoes, meat of choice, and seeds/nuts.
- Drizzle salad mix with pesto dressing, salt and pepper (if desired), and parmesan. Toss together and serve!
It’s so simple, but so full of flavor! I make it several times a month to bring to dinner at a friends, or for lunch, dinner and even breakfast with a fried egg on top.