Merry belated Christmas friends! Hope your holidays were extra sweet and special. If you checked in on Instagram over the week then you know we spent this year skiing in Idaho which was so much fun! Would love to make it an annual winter thing, but as it goes after every vacation, it sure is good to be home. One of the first things we did after walking in the door was throw a few spoons of our homemade hot chocoalte mix into warmed milk. Hot cocoa on the stove was one of the 4 things my grandma used to make when we would visit and so it has a special place in my heart. One day I’ll have to share her other 4 specialties but for now I’m super excited to share this recipe! Bummed I didn’t get it posted for you the week before we left, but better late than never, right? Especially since we have a lot of hot cocoa season left!
Love that this homemade hot cocoa mix is simple to make, has steps the kids can help with and doesn’t include any of the yucky stuff found in store bought versions. Will share the jars we used to gift (or you can store in a larger glass jar), printable labels (just save the “merry christmas” sticker for next year!), and recipe below!
HOMEMADE HOT COCOA MIX (+ PRINTABLE LABELS)
- 2-1/2 cups powdered milk
- 2 cups powdered (aka confectioner) sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder (or more for darker a chocolate taste)
- mini marshmallows, mini chocolate chips, sprinkles or candy cane mints (optional)
- THESE LABELS I MADE FOR YOU (optional)
- waterproof sticker paper (optional)
- smaller jars for giving or larger jar for storing (+ these cute scoopers)
- a sifter or strainer (optional)
- In a large bowl, add powdered milk and cocoa powder.
- Next sift powdered sugar into the bowl and whisk all ingredients together.
- Store in glass or tupperware jar or divide into individual jars for gifting and top with mini marshmallows, mints (my personal fave), sprinkles or chocolate chips.
- TO SERVE: add 2 to 3 tablespoons (to taste) to 3/4 cup warmed milk or water.
The labels are evergreen enough to use all fall and winter, but let me know if you’d like a valentine’s version!?
Cocoa with my girl.
Everyone in the kitchen makes me happy.
My hot cocoa fans.
When your firefighter husband starts talking about how unsafe it is to cook with a scarf on (oops!). “You’ll go up in flames honey.” Felt cute, but I guess I should take it off!
Hope you’re able to put this recipe and labels to use! Click/tap the heart if you’d like to see more recipes like this and leave a comment if you’d use valentine’s labels!