I can’t promise that these cute punch cards will eliminate the pushback that comes when encouraging your kids to get going on their chores or reading (etc.!), but I can promise that they’re worth a try and will punch up the fun factor (pun intended)! Details and downloads are below (I added an all black and white option for you neutral lovers, too!). There’s also a list of incentive ideas at the bottom :)
CLICK TO DOWNLOAD FILES:
- Printer (we’ve had good luck with Canon printers, if you’re in the market!), or a trip to a printing service.
- Hole Punch (this one does a cute star design!)
- Scissors or Paper Cutter
- Click links above to download file. Print front and back onto the same piece of card stock. Cut along dashed lines. Fill-out info on back. Punch when each task is completed. Fill out the backside – who it belongs to (child’s name), what they are earning (i.e. $5), and what each hole punch is equal to (i.e. 15 minutes of reading). Celebrate when the card is full!
- Use to encourage your kids (or students!) to complete tasks, chores, reading, piano practice, even quiet time, etc.
The hardest part of doing this is figuring out what to give them as an earned reward, so here are some ideas:
- MONEY: An obvious option, but here’s an added trick that makes it easy to pay up! Grab a stack of one’s or fives from the bank, or set things up so it’s easy to transfer money from your bank account to their’s, so when their card is full they get that good “yay I did it!” feeling! If the reward is delayed too much (as it’s likely already been a week or two of earning), it’s hard to keep them invested (speaking from experience).
- EXTRA PRIVILEGES
- A FAVORITE THING (OR NEW BOOK/CRAFT)
- DATE TIME WITH YOU
- A PARTY OR FUN DAY: game night, movie night, pizza night, sleepover night… you get the idea!
- MISC: ask them what they would like to earn!
Just as an encouraging reminder… that cool-calm-collected consistency is key! It’s also SO hard, so keep it simple and give yourself some grace!