If you’ve followed along with our meal plans, then you know we love a good tortellini soup! This one is a twist on my Aunt Meg’s Rustic Farrow Soup recipe. Both versions are hearty, healthy, and full of flavor and (bonus) taste even better the next day!
As always, let me know if you give it a try in the comments or @raeannkelly.
COZY RUSTIC TORTELLINI SAUSAGE SOUP
- 1-2 pounds pork sausage (sweet Italian is a good option)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 medium carrots, sliced into rounds or chopped
- 4 celery stocks, chopped
- 2 roma tomatoes
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Italian seasoning blend (or to taste)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 pound fresh cheese tortellini
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated (plus more for topping)
- 1/2 cup half and half or heavy cream*
- In a large pot, brown sausage. When cooked through, add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook for 10 minutes until veggies have softened.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, and seasoning, and cook for another minute. Stir in chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- 10 minutes before serving, add tortellini, parmesan, and cream. Ladle into bowls, top with extra parmesan, and serve with crusty bread or grilled cheese!
Little grilled cheese hack: Add slices of cheese to the outsides of your bread before frying!