Wow, you guys! I know it’s overly basic and cliche to say this, but how is it (almost) mid-December? And how does my Christmas prep to do list not seem to be getting any shorter? Gah!
Over the weekend Poppy, Johan, and I went on an early morning Target date where we indulged in some Starbucks, picked out our wrapping paper and some toy organizing bins, and were home early enough to surprise the rest of the crew with donuts. Decidedly my new favorite way to start a Saturday.
Here are a few more things going on in life (or head), lately.
- MY BEST CHRISTMAS + HOLIDAY HACKS:
- Assigning secret code or elf names to the kids so they won’t know what presents are theirs under the tree and therefore aren’t asking a million questions about, counting and comparing, or shaking the pretty packages you spent hours planning, budgeting, buying, and then finally wrapping.
- Store twinkle lights by wrapping them around a hanger. Keep the plug side at the top so you can plug in and make sure they work, before using!
- Outsource elf on the shelf duties to an older sibling or husband… or, write out a list of ideas before December first so you have something to draw inspiration from when you’ve hit a wall.
- Teach the kids how to make paper snowflakes – they double as decor and entertainment. Also just picked up this coloring fort kit and a new set of markers — best $25 I’ve ever spent!
- Keep easy appetizers and drinks stocked… maybe even pick a signature cocktail to offer all season long. You will find yourself saying yes to a lot more happy hours and socializing and it can also double as dinner in a pinch :). Don’t forget the sparkling cider!
- Add the holiday prep, traditions, acts of kindness, and festivities that you want to do, to your calendar NOW. They’ll be way more likely to happen and anything else that pops up will either be icing on the cake or an easy “no”.
- Pick-out or purchase your holiday outfit options NOW. Like, this week! You are doing and planning all the things to make this Christmas and Holiday season magical and fun. You deserve to arrive to the festivities feeling put together and cute – not frumpy and like an afterthought. Get creative with everyone else’s holiday fits if this cuts into the budget for the fam. There are probably lots of holiday sweaters and dresses, that were only worn a couple times, that friends and family would be happy to share.
- Put together a gift wrapping kit that’s just for the kids. That way they are responsible for their gifts and you don’t have to be annoyed that they used up all of your favorite paper, ribbon, or tags. The last few years we’ve done this I’ve also let the kids pick their own wrapping paper designs. Last year Poppy chose Frozen and this year she picked out festive flamingos, lol.
- Speaking of buying yourself something, how cute are these waffle knit jammies from madewell!? I personally love sleeping in a cropped cami and the pants look so comfy (or these sweats are the absolute softest). ALL ON SALE!
- Did you hear that I’ve started a podcast with my friend Kendra?! We’ll be chatting about parenting (and all the hacks), style (home and wardrobe), wellness, and business. We have a name (THE CLUB) and logo (of course, lol), and a meeting scheduled for Monday that will hopefully help us figure out all the loose ends that need to be tied up. Hoping to launch in January or mid-February! More soon!
- Firefighting + Vaccine Mandate, Update: Johan hasn’t been to work at the fire station since October 19th. Two and a half months later and we’re still feeling like life is in limbo as we figure out what our next step is. On one hand, we feel like the world (or at least country) is our oyster (gives me butterflies!). On the other, after structuring our lives around Johan’s career, and our friends, family, and community, it feels weird to adventure very far outside of our established circle. Up until a couple months ago, all of our goals and decisions were pretty easy to make. All of a sudden though, it’s hard to even know what the heck we want and where we see ourselves in 2-5 years. Not a lot more time to figure things out so pray for us! LOL. Oh, and we are involved in a court case regarding mandates that will be heard on or around January 14th, so pray for that too!
- Loved this: Stars are born from chaos. They are born only after they fist collapse. So my beautiful friend, when you find yourself collapsing, when you find yourself lost in the midst of chaos and confusion, know that it’s because a new beginning is coming. Know that everything is spinning and turning inside of you in order to form new worlds that you can’t even imagine yet. Everything is quietly working under the surface to bring a new light — and it will shine brighter than ever. – Nikki Banas
- WEARING: sweatshirt, leggings (how fun are these green ones?), jacket is old from Everlane (similar or similar), sneakers, purse. Poppy’s jacket and uggs (highly recommend springing for the waterproof ones!).
We are still planning on launching our prayer text in January too! What should our first theme or topic be!? Encouragement is the first word that pops into my head when I look at our world and the new year. Might be a good place to start… What do you think?