Reposting this recipe because it’s still a favorite a deserves a fresh post! Also dead over those little Tilly and Griff hands… take me back!
This is one of those meals I would be happy to make (and eat) every week. It’s easy to throw together, the toppings make it extra fun and leftovers taste even better the next day. One of my favorite things to do is make a batch on a lazy weekend day (when everyone is hanging out and friends come and go), set out bowls and all the fixings and let people help themselves as they get hungry. No snack time messes or negotiations necessary and the kids devour it.
The recipe is below. Hope you enjoy!
THE BEST AND EASIEST CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP
- 1-2 pounds shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken works great!)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced onion (I love using shallots)
- 2 red (orange or yellow) bell peppers, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin (or more to taste)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (or more to taste)
- 1 – 7 ounce can green chilies
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2-3 cans black beans, with liquids
- 32 ounces chicken stock (plus more if needed)
- TOPPINGS: tortillas chips (or tortillas cut into strips and lightly fried), avocado, sour cream, shredded cheese, cilantro, lime wedges, salsa or pico de Gallo, diced red onion
- MAKE THE SHREDDED CHICKEN, or shred a rotisserie chicken from the store! To make shredded chicken, place chicken breasts into a saucepan and add enough water to cover. cook over medium heat, bring to a boil, and simmer until chicken meat is cooked through, about 10 to 12 minutes. transfer chicken to a plate, allow to cool, and shred using 2 forks. (while chicken cooks, prep veggies!)
- SAUTE VEGGIES, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a soup pot over medium high heat. add onions, red peppers, and minced garlic. stir and begin cooking, then add the the spices and stir to combine. add shredded chicken and stir.
- MAKE SOUP, pour in chilies, chicken stock, tomato paste, water, and black beans. bring to a boil and reduce heat to a simmer. simmer for 30 minutes, uncovered. Add more chicken stock if needed.
- TIME FOR A TASTE TEST! add more seasoning if needed. turn off heat and let cool for 15 minutes. a few minutes before serving with toppings.
mmmm… now i’m hungry.
do you have an easy go-to meal that everyone loves!?
P.S. – Head here to see this recipe in action as a reel and as always, tag me here or leave a comment if you give it a try!