You know what I love? Practical things like cute summer shoes that can get wet (I’ll share our favorites below) and easy ways to check self-care off my to do list. So I thought we’d chat about both today!
Self care can seem impossible but it really doesn’t have to be complicated or even cost money. With summer starting today for us (FINALLY!) the topic has been on my mind — particularly, how to fit it in, what it looks like and how to make it happen. More than anything I just really want my kids to have a fun, happy mom to hangout with alllll summer (burnout is real!). After all we only get 18 of them together… 18!?
Here’s my list of simple, inexpensive ways to treat yourself |
- the little things count… date nights don’t have to be fancy. Girlfriend time can include the kids (and mimosas), and Netflix is a completely appropriate “babysitter” every once in a while so you can catch up on the bachelor, finish a project or just take a break.
- Workouts don’t have to be at a gym! I’ve been using the SWEAT app (and loving it!). Also shared some ideas for an at home/on the go workouts HERE.
- Knowing how much time things actually take… washing your face is worth the extra 2 minutes. Except some nights it’s not, lol. Workouts only take 30 minutes if you aren’t driving to a gym and a nail, eyebrow or blow-out appointment only take an hour or less!
- Find a good hiding spot. Mine is in the laundry room with a la croix or glass of wine and a Friends episode while I catch up on laundry. If the kids somehow happen to find me I give them clothes to fold and socks to match. Poppy is awesome at “folding” towels and washcloths :).
- JUST SAY NO TO: mom guilt, people pleasing and just all the extra stuff…
- Going to bed. Always easier said than done but the world looks so much better after sleep.
- Drink water.
What would you add?
(poppy hiding from papa. me prob adding text to an instagram story.)
(making myself the president of his fan club. i love you griff!)
WATER (FRIENDLY) SHOES |
- Love these slides and that they come in other colors to.
- The waterproof birks are amazing. Johan has these, griffin has these, and I would like these.
- Espen and tilly have the target version and so does poppy.
- We also, love, love love natives… curious about their teva style ones. May have to give them a try!
What do you think about either or both of these topics?
There are a number of places I look for inspiration when working… old pictures, an outing or road trip, a J.Crew catalogue (or is that retail therapy/procrastination?), going for a walk, etc. but my favorite inspiration comes from my kids’ drawings, doodles and art projects. I just honestly can’t get enough of them or the […]
RECIPE FOR A HAPPY MONDAY: pump up music booty shaking donuts. Press play and see if you can spot Griffin’s fortnite dance move, paper-rock-scissors for the maple with chocolate chips donut, the hair flip, Tilly’s cute bestie Londan, Johan trying to spin Poppy and then Espen, and my embarrassing solo (hashtag mom-moves)!? HA! Sent the […]
Happy, happy Friday!!! We’ve been working on a bedroom refresh for the boys shared room the last couple weeks and it’s been a lot of fun seeing it come together… especially since the boys are so excited about it! While Johan worked on the painting part (watch his trick for getting a perfect paint line […]
I know I’ve mentioned this before, but my no. 1 mom tip for getting out of any kind of rut is to simply mix things up a bit… So when league play for baseball ended last week, after a long rut-inducing 3 months, I decided to take my own advice and add a few new […]
We still have 2 weeks left of school, but our summer bucket list is filling up fast! At the top of the kids’ list is planning sleepovers with friends. For the most part we only do overnights with family or friends that are like family (most of which live in the same neighborhood) but a […]
Take us to the weekend! Or better yet, take us on a road trip over the weekend!!!! Summer is the best time of year in Seattle so it’s not often that we go more than a few hours away. While it’s easier to pack a bag for a weekend road trip, it can be a […]
I’ve always hesitated to share my daily skin and makeup routine because it’s v. basic, but after seeing the royal wedding and the brides’s makeup for the ceremony (if you missed it, look here!) I was feeling inspired and figured a simple beauty routine might be interesting and helpful enough to post. I’m sure there […]
I always tell Tilly she was my best surprise ever, and it’s true. Since we didn’t find out gender while I was pregnant with her, I had very similar pregnancies with my two boys, and always felt like I’d be a boy mama, I assumed she would be a boy and boy, was I wrong. […]
Oh, my life is busssssy right now, but I’m hoping it’s just the crazy before the summer-calm. Aside from the kids activities, I’ve been occupied with design projects (a couple I can’t wait to share!). Just wrapped up the major stuff, so am hoping to get caught up and spend more time and fun content […]
Finally getting around to sharing a Mother’s Day recap with you! Although, I still feel like I’m celebrating over here, lol. Anyone else? So thankful for this family of mine… Motherhood (and being a wife, too!) is probably the one thing I’ve never questioned myself about. It hasn’t always looked how I imagined, my house and […]