I mentioned in my email blast last week (if you didn’t get it, click here to sign up!) that we’ve had some sick kids at home and with it, a few Doctor visits (can home visits become a thing again, please!?), sleepless nights and exhausting days. On top of the sickies and the usual family life grind, I was also juggling graphic design projects for clients, Johan was getting our rental home ready for new tenants, it’s Birthday month for Ozzie, Tilly and me (!!!) and we’ve been in the middle of an extended family situation that’s not necessarily bad but takes up our time and energy.
Added stress or not, a normal day with kids can turn into a s*it show in a hurry. Thankfully there are always ways to turn things around and I’ve been getting a lot of practice lately using them! Haha! Thought I’d share a quick list with you guys and hope they help in someway!
10 EASY WAYS TO TURN AROUND A BAD DAY:
- Switch up your routine — pack up the kids after school/naps so you can all enjoy snack and homework time (for the bigs) or books and puzzles (for the littles) somewhere other than the kitchen counter. Another couple examples: 1. Do tubbies and pj’s before dinner and have a pajama party while you eat 2. Bundle up and read bedtime stories on the front porch or in front of the fire place instead of your usual spot.
- Break a rule — that’s what they are for anyways, right?! My kids would say, “Dad always breaks the rules, but he says only the dumb ones!” haha! Anyway, we’re pretty strict on everyone sitting down to eat dinner together (or at least whoever is at home) without tech or the TV, but after a particularly insane day last week I had the kids get their jammies on before dinner, we put blankets down on the family room floor and then we all sat and ate pizza and applesauce while watching a Halloween movie that was on Disney. Nothing all that original or special but it sure felt extra fun and put everyone in a good mood.
- Make a silly rule — this get’s everyone distracted! A few ideas: 1. no utensils allowed at dinner 2. you have to sing or whisper everything you say 3. do 5 jumping jacks every time you hear the word _________ (then say that word often!) 4. Give everyone their own balloon and tell them they have to keep it in the air or stuck between their knees (so they waddle like a penguin) 5. No walking allowed! Try “figure skating” instead. Give each kid two dryer sheets or dry washcloths to glide around on.
- Adjust expectations — This just goes with the territory!
- Do something the easy way — Grab pizza instead of cooking dinner, skip story time for a show on the iPad, ask for help, pick your battles, etc.
- Ask everyone what they are grateful for — Gratitude changes the conversation and perspective. Another good question to ask is, “How do you want to feel at the end of the day?”
- Change the atmosphere — dim the lights, light a candle, get out the essential oils if you have them, play some music, practice mindfulness with some yoga poses or a guided meditation (checkout Cosmic Kids Yoga or GoNoodle), etc.
- Dance parties are always a good idea!
- Get some fresh air and go for a walk.
- Get out of the house — head to the Target dollar isle, a friend’s house, the park or just out for a drive!
I hope these help in some way. Motherhood is the best thing ever but also so hard and exhausting and the thing I love most about the motherhood community is knowing I’m not alone in the good, bad and ugly that comes with it :)
Happy Monday! Feeling especially thankful for a fresh new week and healthier kids!
PS – my side striped pants are on sale at J.Crew for $32. They’re kind of a mix between joggers and leggings (i.e. not the best fitting), but are perfect for around the house or running errands and I love them! Thinking about getting the navy pair too.
You guys ready for the cutest little Halloween craft eva? I made these Halloween candy poppers (for lack of a better word because they don’t actually pop!?) with Tilly who is the goodie bag giving queen — she loves putting together little treats to give her friends whether there is a reason or not and […]
I may not be 100% ready to say goodbye to the summer heat and sunshine, but am fully ready to embrace all the yummy fall flavors and scents. Last night I made butternut squash pasta carbonara, a family favorite (6 out of 7 of us anyway!) this time of year, and wanted to share the […]
Pretty certain September couldn’t have gone any quicker… Can you guys believe it’s October 2nd!? I’ve been feeling under the weather the last few days so haven’t kicked the month off like I’d hoped — even asked the kids to watch Hocus Pocus with me yesterday but they opted for Cars instead — Anyways, a […]
“Don’t forget your lunch!” season is in full swing around here. On top of that it seems the further we get into the school year the more rushed our mornings are. To make things easier I’ve been trying to whip up simple lunches that the kids are too excited about to not grab on their […]
OK, is it just me or was last week crazy town!!!!? Our days were jam-packed and even though I was able to be productive with work and have lots of family and friend time, our home is a whole other story. But I guess 2 out of 3 isn’t bad? It’s definitely the balance I prefer. […]
There is so much to appreciate about social media and blogs but one of my favorite things is how it allows you to connect with people you wouldn’t ordinarily know. Yet sometimes the convos feels a little one sided since I’m doing a lot of the talking over here, LOL. So let’s switch things up […]
Today we’re starting a new series that incorporates two of my favorite things — cute clothes and playing with my kids — called, STYLE + PLAY (!!!) There have been some requests for more style content and tips and I thought this would be a really good way to share my style in an authentic […]
Cheeeyeck! We made it though the first full week of back to school and I don’t think I’ve ever been so excited for FRI-YAYAYAYAYAY! A quick recap of how things have been going… The kids love their teachers and I love hearing all about their day when they get home. The whole concept of having […]
You guys (!!!) this is only the 7th day the kids (or at least some combination of them) have been back in school and I’m already missing them and summer so much! To distract myself and make things interesting around here, I thought it would be fun to do a weekly Instagram Live. The first […]
“So speak encouraging words to one another. Build up hope so you’ll all be together in this, no one left out, no one left behind.” (The Message) Last weekend while on a quick road trip, Johan and I downloaded “How to Win Friends and Influence People” to audibles. Most of you have probably heard of […]