I feel funny writing this post because I’m usually the one asking for makeup advice but I recently learned a few tricks from my girl Stacy that are so good yet easy enough for the makeup challenged (that’s me) and I just couldn’t keep them to myself. No skills, smokey or cat eyes required, just the basics applied purposefully so you won’t be wondering all day if you did it right.
Side note, don’t you just love hairbands as accessories? And the hair flipping! I read somewhere once that movement in front of the camera is a good thing so I guess it’s my movement of choice, HA!
Now back to the tutorial.
- your usual base (tinted moisturizer, foundation, etc.), eyeliner, mascara and lash curler
- blush in a bright pink
- highlighter or concealer 2 shades lighter than your skin
- translucent powder or setting spray
- angled eyebrow pencil
- makeup sponge and blush brush
- matte lip color and pencil in a natural shade
- Start with your usual base (I had a tinted moisturizer on) and cover up any blemishes or dark circles.
- Add bronzer to your hairline, jawline and under your cheekbones and blend with a brush.
- Apply a highlighter or concealer a couple shades lighter than your skin tone to the top of your cheekbones, inside corner of eyes and bridge of nose. Blend with a sponge or your fingers.
- Brush on a little blush in a bright color to the apples of your cheeks. Blend again if needed and then set with a translucent powder or spray.
- Using an angled eyebrow pencil, fill in your brows. Mine have been sadly neglected this summer so ignore their shapelessness! Add eyeliner to your lash line and underneath top lashes if your feeling brave (I don’t line my bottom lashes), curl lashes and apply mascara.
- Finish up with a matte lip and liner in a natural or nude shade and voila!
I hope that seems as simple as promised!? Sorry for the lack of links to exact products but I usually just let the makeup girls at MAC or Sephora know what I’m looking for and go with what they suggest as long as the price is reasonable.
Have a happy Monday and let me know if I left something out or if you have any questions.
(photos by Stacy Jacobsen)