I’ve definitely had varying levels of anxiety when it comes to COVID-19, but recently started really worrying about my families immune systems. We’ve all gone from being around hundreds of people (+ their germs) a day between school, work, sports, church, the YMCA, Birthday parties, sleepovers, outings, etc., to literally the 7 of us and our quarantine buddies, for the last couple months. Safe to say our immune systems have probably let their guard down and is taking a nice little siesta. Ha! So what happens when kids go back to school in the fall? I don’t even want to think about it, but I do want to be proactive!
We’ve already been in the process of perfecting our supplements game over the last year and have reaped the benefits (big time!) so I’ll share what’s in our wellness basket, but I also called my mama who has studied all things wholistic wayyyyy before it was mainstream, to see if she had any other suggestions and to my surprise (not that I should’ve been) she rattled off a list of foods the support our immune systems. That was quite the run-on sentence, but that’s what I do when I’m excited to share something… keep scrolling for al the details!
8 IMMUNE BOOSTING FOODS
- Lemons + Limes | so easy to add to water, smoothies, salads, apple slices, guacamole, sliced strawberries, and so many of our dinner recipes!
- Bone Broth | next time a recipe calls for veggie or chicken broth, swap for bone broth. Buy at the store or make your own!
- Garlic | a good case for making garlic fries or pasta! ha!
- Onions | pass the pico!
- Apple Cider Vinegar | unless you’re up for downing a tablespoon in the morning, this one might be a little harder to incorporate other than in a homemade salad dressing.
- Mushrooms | yes please!
- Ginger | we don’t eat it often, but I do love the taste… maybe in a smoothie? If you have any good ginger tips or recipes, please share!
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil + Coconut Oil | another thing I probably cook with daily but especially with roasted veggies and salads. I’ve also been adding a scoop of coconut oil to the water when making steel cut oatmeal in the morning or rice in the evening.
SUPPLEMENTS + VITAMINS I KEEP STOCKED FOR THE FAM BAM
- KidScents MIGHTYPRO(biotic) from young living is definitely the hero in our wellness bin for the kids. They come in little packets and go down like pixie sticks and even some of the kids’ friends will ask for one when they’re over which of course I love! Since giving the kids these over the last year, we’ve had so little sick days compared to years past which means less trips to the Dr. and less time on antibiotics, yay!
- Garden of Life Probiotic is what I gave the kids before YL and also keep a back up bottle stocked in case we run out of the mightypro.
- Here Comes the Sun, by HUM! You need this!!!! So good for low energy and supports your skin and immune system too!
- KidScents MIGHTYZYME is another one from young living that we love! I used to give it to the kids daily (because we had lots of tummy aches!) but now only when they seem to be having tummy problems — I’ll add it back to their vitamin routine for a couple weeks and it does the trick!
- Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides! I was hesitant to buy into the collagen trend, but my nails, hair and skin has never looked better after a long winter.
- OLLY Kids Multi Vitamin – makes me feel better on days that they might not be eating all their fruits and veggies… so basically everyday for some of the babes. Ha! (Added the kids multi to my YL order this month so will have to let you how that goes!)
- COREPLEX with Iron — so you might need to find a friend that has an account with Advocare, but if you have problems with your iron levels and have had a hard time finding something that doesn’t upset your stomach, I swear by these! Johan and Ozzie also take the one without iron.
- INNER DEFENSE – just one more giant reason why we love Young Living! Keep this on hand to take anytime we start to feel like we’re coming down with something. Oz who had been congested, hoarse and tight in his chest all winter, took once he was home for Spring break and was 100% better in three days. Amazing.
- MULTIGREEN Herbal Supplement, another YL product we love. I take it a few times a week and feel like it makes such a difference in my mood and energy!
- SPARK by Advocare is another thing I take daily and love! Highly recommend to anyone that tends to become an insomniac when you drink too much coffee! Plus it makes it easier to fit in all the water I should be drinking in a day :) (tip: it’s way less expensive if you can find a friend who has an Advocare account and doesn’t mind sharing their discount!)
Hope that little round up of pills to pop and food to munch was helpful… Let me know if you have any questions. Would love to know about any vitamins or supplements that work for you and your family so I can give them a try!
Heres to coming out on the other side of quarantine, healthier than ever!