i’m not a super mom. in fact, i’m pretty sure it’s an oxymoron or the opposite of a double negative, or something that cancels itself out. most days i’m just doing what has to be done, making sure my babes have what they need and praying that everything else falls into place.
but there is one other thing i take very seriously…. that my kids feel loved. everyday.
it would be easy for this task to become overwhelming, but luckily my kids have taught me that it’s the little things that matter. just one act of love goes a looooong way.
this winter my default has been just about anything warm and cozy. letting them eat breakfast by the fireplace, adding an extra blanket to their beds, a hot cup of cocoa after being outside, a warm towel to wrap up in after tubs, or….
… reheatable hand-warmers to pop in their pockets on the way to school. so cozy.
(continue reading for the DIY instructions)
- a fat quarter (or more) of this fabric or whatever fabric you have laying around the house (or a new design HERE)
- fabric scissors
- pinking shears (optional)
- sewing machine or needle
- long pins
1. using fabric scissors, cut the pattern from our spoonflower fabric OR cut 2-3/4 inch squares from your choice of fabric. you’ll need two per hand warmer.
2. place two squares of fabric wrong sides together and stitch a 1/4 inch seam around the outside, leaving a 1-1/2 inch opening and backstitching in the beginning and end. (if you don’t have pinking shears, place fabric write sided together, sew as instructed and then turn right side out.)
3. fill 3/4 of the way up with rice.
4. using a long pin, block the rice from falling out of the opening and sew closed.
5. using pinking shears, trim the edges…. it will keep them from fraying.
to use, warm up int he microwave for 20 seconds (or so), but make sure they aren’t too hot before handing over to little hands!
i also thought it would be fun to make some extras to give as love day gifts and made a little insert to include. you can download it (HERE).
so, i shared a couple of my little tricks, but would LOVE to hear about little things you do to show your kids you love them! let us know in the comments below.
xo . rae
P.S. – Just added a new oversized version of these hand warmers HERE and would love for you to check them out.
Want to receive goodies like this in your inbox? Sign up below…. (it’s free).