I have a love hate relationship with themes. On one hand they help limit the possibilities so decisions are easier to make and options are easier to find. On the other hand, they can also feel limiting. So in any given situation it all comes down to what is needed the most – structure or freedom – and this month for dinners I’m definitely feeling a need for a little more of the first. Which is kinda shocking considering the rest of our life is so structured lately, you’d think I’d be craving a little more creativity and endless possibilities. However, 30 days isn’t very much of a commitment and will also get us through most of soccer, football and track season on a much better diet than where my creativity would lead me, lol.
Here’s the breakdown of the theme night dinners I picked, but would be easy to switch for your family.
SALAD OR SOUP + SANDWICH MONDAY |
- white bean and chicken chili (pictured above), introduced to us by our friend forever ago and is still a go-to. Can be made in the crockpot too and goes well with avocado and quesadillas!
- this crockpot butternut squash recipe is so good!
- still my favorite salad rn.
- creamy corn chowder is yummy.
- Gigi’s famous meatball soup :)
TACO TUESDAY | PSA, national taco day is on Friday!
- my (also) famous chicken tortilla soup! (self proclaimed, lol).
- any taco recipe by kitchn – they never disappoint.
- these creamy chipotle tacos are so good but I’ve loved almost every recipe I’ve made. by oh so deliciouso so do some browsing!
- still eat these breakfast burritos all the time.
- huevos rancheros are a go-to for dinner and breakfast in our home.
- toast :)
ASIAN FUSION THURSDAY | think spring rolls, curry, anything with coconut, rice noodles, etc. Here’s a few favorites!
- thai turkey lettuce cups.
- this spring roll recipe (click the link to see a young Oz, Espen + Tilly!) but add avocado, cucumber, shrimp and cabbage as other options. Oh and try different dipping sauces too!
- costco pot stickers :) or these look so good!
- want to try this thai buddha bowl.
- would love to find a good noodle dish if you have any suggestions :)
FREE DAY FRIDAY | whatever your little heart desires. pizza, pasta (must make this ASAP), grilled cheese (the best combos here!), takeout, eat out, game day food, cereal, ice cream… (see how I’m progressively going downhill, lol.)… it all goes.
CROCKPOT SATURDAY | it’s pretty slim pickings around here when it comes to crock pot dishes but here are a few goodies.
- this is a good make ahead dish and could work for Thursday dinner too!
- making a batch of shredded chicken and then adding to dinners and lunches all week!
- this apricot chicken is so good.
- most of the soups above can be made in the crockpot too!
SHEET PAN SUNDAY | this isn’t something I’ve done a lot of but the fewer the dishes the better and I could eat roasted veggies for any meal so let’s do this sheet pan thang!
Ok, now I’m just supper hungry. And need to make a shopping list.
Let me know if you are going to join us for theme night dinners for October!!! Even if it’s not the same themes, it would still be fun. Will try and share on Instagram stories too.