How I feel about mid-winter is exactly how Poppy’s face looks in this picture… I’m not impressed. For no real reason other than it’s just not my favorite time of year. It doesn’t help that we’ve been cooped up and recovering from a stomach bug followed by a flu virus for the last few weeks. On the bright side, I guess if we have to be sick this would be the best time of year to do it! Positive thoughts, right!? But either way it certainly doesn’t help with the winter blues situation.
There are however a few things I’ve found that have put a bit more pep in my step lately…
- Wearing brighter colors! My closet if full of neutrals which I love but apparently there is only so much I can take especially with the gray Seattle sky so I pulled my white jeans out of summer retirement and surprisingly don’t feel weird or out of place wearing them thanks to a few oversized sweaters in my closet.
- The days are getting longer (hallelujah!).
- Easter is in March instead of April this year which makes spring feel that much closer.
- Johan and I have decided to plan a long weekend away to someplace HOT and close-ish. If you have any suggestions or feel like taking care of our kids, please let me know!
- Staying warm and lighting things. Like candles and the fireplace. This is kind of a no-brainer but sometimes I forget how affective both of those things are. The fireplace has especially been an important part of our morning routine this winter.
- Planning outings and playdates ahead of time. This one is key for me because when it comes down to it, all I feel like doing this time of year is, well — nothing. Scheduling ahead means my feelings aren’t planning my day for me. Of course there is always room for an afternoon spent inside snuggling and baking cookies this time of year too!
How have you been coping with the mid-winter funk!? Or maybe you love this time of year!? Either way, spill the beans on why you love it or what you do to make it more fun.