Ever since the play kitchen remodel, Tilly and I have been dreaming of play food we can make together and ice cream cones were at the top of the list. Fitting since they are also at the top of our grocery list this time of year too! She’s been on a – teach me to sew – kick lately but a no-sew projects seemed like a good place to start and a strand of felt balls hanging in the family room were begging me to make them colorful scoops of ice cream.
Here’s how to DIY…
- felt balls (4cm felt balls pictured, but you could glue 3 smaller ones together or use pom-poms or foam balls)
- markers or paint to decorate “cones”
- egg carton
- small pieces of felt for sprinkles
- container to hold finished play food (I used a plastic one from the deli)
- glue (optional)
- Cut the cone shapes from an egg carton (see dashed line in picture above). Decorate with markers or paint.
- Cut sprinkles from a piece of felt. If desired glue onto felt balls.
- Decorate a label for the ice cream container.
- Take orders for ice cream cones and start playing!
These ice cream cones would make a cute Birthday gift or fun crafternoon activity even if you don’t plan on keeping them around for use in a play kitchen.
Do you have any other play food ideas?
P.S. – Here is another ice cream inspired post you might enjoy. So happy it’s ice cream season!