With all the Birthdays, travel and fall festivities, our usual meal plans have been non-existent this past month. And judging by large quantity of candy wrappers I’m finding all over the house we could all use some whole foods to help curb the sugar addictions. So this week my goal is to get back on a normal eating schedule and menu. Thought I would share the meal plan I whipped up last night if your in need of some inspiration, along with the recipe for one of my favorite meals my own mama cooks. Makes me feel like I’m home every time I eat it… The best kind of comfort food, but more healthy!
GIGI’S FAMOUS MEATBALL SOUP
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 egg
- pinch of salt and pepper, to taste
- 1-1/2 quart beef broth
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1/2 head green cabbage, diced
- 2 roma tomatoes, diced (optional)
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 2 to 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- Olive or coconut oil for cooking
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a small mixing bowl combine beef, egg, and salt and pepper. Form into 1 to 1-1/2 inch meatballs. Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium heat and brown the outside of the meatballs. Remove from skillet once browned but not cooked through — they will cook the rest of the way in the soup. (Tip: skip this step and use frozen meatballs instead!)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large pot over medium-high heat and sauté onion, carrot, celery and cabbage. Add a couple pinches of slat and pepper.
- Add the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, rice, meatballs, bay leaf, basil, soy sauce, and 1 tablespoon of parsley and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 15-20 minutes. Check meatballs to make sure they are cooked through. Garnish with remaining parsley and serve! (Tip: make a double batch and freeze half in a mason jar for later!)
MONDAY/ Chicken caesar salad and grilled cheese sammies (+ Monday night football!)
TUESDAY/ Stuffed peppers
WEDNESDAY/ Butternut squash carbonara
THURSDAY/ Green coconut curry with chicken + zucchini (love this recipe but omit the cuttlefish balls and fish sauce)
FRIDAY/ French dip sammies, apples + fresh veggies (+ movie night!)
SATURDAY/ Crockpot chicken burrito bowls
SUNDAY/ Gigi’s famous meatball soup (recipe above^)
BREKKIE/ Steel cut oats, pumpkin pancakes, eggs
LUNCH/ Wraps, fruit, yogurt, popcorn
SNACK/ energy bites, hardboiled eggs, pretzels, apples + peanut butter
Phew, that felt good but is also kinda intimidating considering how long it’s been since I cooked more than one night in a row (ha!). Now to make a shopping list and trip to the store!
On another note, how was your weekend!? We (finally) celebrated Tilly’s 8th B-day with a party, enjoyed the extra hour of
sleep I mean, time in our jammies, and Tilly and I got to go on a girl date with friends. Never fun saying goodbye to the weekend but I’m actually feeling ready for Monday. Hope your week gets off to a good start!