I might have had to eat salad with my fingers (so romantic!) but earlier this week Johan and I ditched the babes and enjoyed a takeout picnic on the waterfront. My favorite kinda date — no need to change outfits, spend much money, or prep anything but the babysitter :)
Summer is, hands down, my favorite dating season. Still, finding the time, money and energy can be a challenge. So I started a list of summer date ideas that don’t cost much, or require prep-work and that fit into a busy schedule! I’ll share below but first a peek at my date with the man I love so much…
I enjoy cooking and especially cooking with Johan, but takeout has my heart! We called our order in but still had time to share a beer at the bar before grabbing our food and heading to the beach.
His + hers. Not because I’m on a diet but salads have been a favorite food since I was a kid. Could eat one every night! With a side of fries of course. Snagged a few of Johan’s.
His best GQ face. HA!
Which lead to some funny commentary and serious laughter. I love making him laugh and it’s easy for him to do the same.
A little love note we found. You can also see it in the food pic above.
A quick jaunt on the beach before heading home. But first, selfies!
EASY SUMMER DATE NIGHT IDEAS:
- Putt-putt golf or driving range.
- Takeout, dessert or wine and cheese plate picnic… setting up in the backyard or front porch after kids are asleep (or watching a movie) counts!
- Early morning coffee date. Hire a middle school neighbor (whose mom is home!) to come watch cartoons and eat cereal with the kids while they wake up.
- Meet up for lunch.
- Go play tennis.
- Minor league baseball games are fun, less expensive and totally low-key!
- Farmer’s Market dates always include flowers (bonus!).
- Trying to recreate your first date is fun and usually pretty inexpensive, LOL.
- Go bowling.
- Track-down a food truck you’ve been wanting to try.
- Make S’mores and play cards around the fire pit… with friends too!
- Go somewhere with a view of the city/mountains/water and kiss :)
- Play darts at a dive bar.
- Movie or music nights at the park in your hood. They often start after bedtime which makes picking a sitter (and paying) a little easier.
- Walk/skate/bike along a paved trail or pier.
Two last thoughts…
- Take pics! I’m always hesitant to bring the camera or get my phone out, thinking it will ruin the moment but we take pics all day long of our kids because we never want to forget the moments and season of life. I forget how much I’ll miss this season of our marriage too.
- An article I read recently said that moms and dads that have semi-regular date nights are happier parents (there was also something about exercising and getting enough sleep, lol). A little incentive for when leaving the little ones feels like more work than fun. There’s a huge payoff!
What’s your favorite thing to do for dates in the summer!?