My dinner planning skills have been haphazard at best since the kids got out of school. Depending on our evening activities we’ve either been stopping for takeout, packing up something lunch-y for a picnic, eating with friends or throwing meat on the grill and grabbing whatever fresh food we have out of the fridge. It’s been working out okay so far but on the nights we could use a little more structure around dinnertime, these easy turkey lettuce cups (minus a couple kids) are a favorite and go well with a side of watermelon!
EASY TURKEY LETTUCE CUPS, serves 6, takes 30 minutes start to finish
For the dressing you’ll need:
- 1/2 cup lime juice (about 7 limes if wanting fresh squeezed)
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (about 1 large lemon)
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Thai fish sauce (optional)
For the filling you’ll need:
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (or canola)
- 4 small shallots, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup minced lemongrass
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup fresh mint leaves, chopped
- 1 head butter lettuce (or 15 small romaine lettuce spears)
- Whisk together dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Rinse lettuce and layout to dry. Dice and chop all of the veggies. Heat coconut oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add shallots, lemongrass and peppers. Season with salt and pepper and cook until soft (about 5 minutes).
- Add turkey and cook, breaking up the meat, until cooked through.
- Add the dressing to the skillet and continue to cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in mint. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon turkey mixture into lettuce and serve!
Do you have any dinner favorites this summer?!