We’ve been in a breakfast funk around here lately so I started searching for old recipes over the weekend and remembered these nutritious bites we made last summer and loved. Adding some ingredients to our shopping list today and hoping to make some tomorrow so thought I would share the how-to.
Use any granola recipe you have tried (minus dried fruit) and like or the one below. I prefer a chewy granola for these cups. Less mess and easier to eat!
CHEWY GRANOLA CUPS – 15 minutes hands-on, makes about 16 mini cups
- 1/4 cup applesauce (mashed banana works too)
- 1/4 cup honey (or agave)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-1/4 cup rolled oats
- favorite yogurt (we like honey or vanilla greek yogurt)
- berries or other diced fruit for topping
- Grease mini muffin tin (regular size tin works too) and set aside.
- Whisk applesauce, honey, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Add oats and stir until well combined.
- Add a few tablespoons of mix to each muffin cup. Press the mixture into the bottom and sides, making a nice indent for yogurt to go later. Place in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove muffin tin from fridge and press around the edges again. Bake for 12 minutes. Set out for 10 minutes before serving to prevent crumbling.
Make extras and store in an air-tight container or toss in a ziplock and freeze. Perfect for crazy mornings (so basically every morning) and are equally as delicious as an afternoon pick-me-up or treat with ice cream instead of yogurt.
PS – Want more breakfast ideas? Try these yummy muffins!