I really, really love a good slice of toast topped with peanut butter or avocado, but have never thought much of the french kind. Until a few weeks ago when we decided to give the breakfast classic a pumpkin spice makeover (’tis the season!) and now I can’t stop making it! I think we’ve had it the last few times the kids have had sleepovers or we’ve had guests around and a couple extra times just for us. The slices get gobbled up as quickly as I can make them so I figured it was time to pass along the recipe (below)!
PUMPKIN SPICE FRENCH TOAST SOLDIERS + WHIPPED CREAM
Makes one loaf of bread
For the French Toast, You’ll Need:
- 3/4cup milk (I like to use whole, but any works)
- 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
- 5 eggs
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1 loaf of favorite bread to french toast (thick sliced bread is best!)
For the Whipped Cream, You’ll Need:
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup granulated sugar, to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 to 2 teaspoon cinnamon, to taste
- 1 to 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice, to taste
- Grease large non-stick skillet and set to medium heat.
- Beat together milk, pumpkin, eggs, and spices in a baking dish.
- Dip both sides of bread slices into mixture and place on heated skillet. Cook until each side is golden brown. If sides are getting brown but the bread is soggy, lower heat and cook longer per side. Repeat.
- While french toast cooks, add whipping cream, sugar, vanilla, and spices into mixing bowl and whip with stand or hand mixer until mixture thickens and peaks form (about 5 minutes).
- Cut into strips, serve with pumpkin spice whipped cream and dip away!!! They are good with syrup too.
If someone finds away to make this stuffed… or knows of a good stuffed french toast recipe, please share!
P.S. – Tomorrow we are waking up at an ungodly hour to surprise the kids with a family vacay! Despite the stacks of warm weather outfits that have been cluttering up my dresser since Monday, they have no idea but are going to freakout! Can’t wait to spill the beans… Will share more on Friday from our destination and tomorrow on Instagram too if you want to follow along. Happy hump day!!!