One of the things my kids never fail to appreciate is a fresh batch of chocolate chip cookies. Particularly when they have a group of friends over. But adding one more messy task in the middle of the afternoon, with a house of munchkins requiring a certain amount of supervision (and damage control) isn’t always the most practical. Lately though I’ve been able to set out a plate of gooey confections in just 15 minutes without dirtying more than a couple dishes.
How, you ask!?
A couple weeks ago we made a super sized batch of our favorite cookie recipe, balled the dough into individual cookies and then threw them in the freezer. Now it’s so easy to throw in a dozen crowd pleasing cookies to share with friends or bring to a get together and each batch tastes just as good as the first. Honestly one of the smartest mom things I’ve done… ha!
FAVORITE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES, makes 6-7 dozen
- 2 cups butter, softened (4 sticks)
- 1 ½ cups sugar
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups cake flour (this is what makes this recipe amazing but cake flour can be substituted for regular all-purpose flour)
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- 6+ cups chocolate chips
- Cookie scooper (optional but SOOOO helpful!)
- Combine flours and baking soda together in a bowl and whisk well.
- In an extra-large mixing bowl cream butter, sugars, eggs and vanilla together.
- Slowly add flour mix to large mixing bowl until combined. Then stir in chocolate chips.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Using a cookie scooper (I like the small ones for the kids, but any size – even an ice cream scoop or 1/4 measuring cup – works) scoop as many balls of dough onto baking sheet as you can and place in the freezer for a couple hours. Repeat with remaining dough.
- Once frozen, store dough in airtight container or gallon bag and freeze for up to 3 months.
- Anytime you need a sweet treat set the oven to 350 and bake for 12-15 minutes (no need to thaw!), erring on the early end of the timer. Underdone is better than overdone, every time.
Chocolate chip is the only kind of cookie (other than the breakkie kind!) that we make around here but it is probably time we try something new. Any suggestions?
Now go make some cookies friends!