We made it through January (still celebrating over here!), the sun stays in the sky a little longer everyday, and I finally started to break out of my winter rut you guys. Hallelujah! Even though it’ll be awhile before we see a decent amount of blue skies and sunshine here in the PNW, it seems like we’ve turned the corner and that gives me all the good feels.
In addition to a general attitude adjustment :), getting out of the house always helps beat those winter blues so last week we visited a couple of our favorite local places — the second hand bookstore and the crepe shop! Anytime we can leave the house without a looong shopping or to do list is such a treat. It just takes an extra dose of motivation to go anywhere when we don’t have to this time of year, LOL. Always happy when we decided to go tho!
So many treasures for the kids to find and look at! Funny how entertaining it is to look at things that don’t belong to you and so nice to be in a store where it’s okay for the kids to touch just about anything!
Always running circles around me! Also, Griffin is never not touching a sibling or parent. It’s the sweetest thing although his sister doesn’t always agree :)
We’re still collecting books with colorful covers to fill the built-in shelves in our family room which was part of our motivation for heading to the secondhand bookstore. You’ll never guess what book I found with a vintage orange spine in the discount section…. “cheaper by the dozen”!!! Jackpot! Haha! Still so excited about it and found the perfect spot to put it.
Next stop was crepes, because well, crepes and nutella and fruit and whip are always a good idea. I also love anytime we eat while out and about (even if I pack something) so I don’t have to get a lunch spread out at home before naps! Not sure if that qualifies as a mom hack, but it should!
A little quality lego time (i.e. guess which hand is holding the lego guy) before tucking Poppy in for nap.
Aside from my attitude adjustment and getting out of the house here’s a short list of other ways to beat the winter blues!
15 WAYS TO BEAT THE WINTER BLUES
- Embrace the season + accept it for what it is. (Think Turn! Turn! Turn! by the Beatles and the book of Ecclesiastes). There is a purpose and a reason for each season and God is always busy doing good things through us and with us.
- Re-establish part of your routine or schedule that has been bothering you or needs some refining.
- Mix things up! Grocery shop somewhere new, try a new recipe, take a new exercise class, paint a room, get a fun haircut, try a new lipstick color, etc.
- Take turns planning date nights at home
- Plan for spring + summer
- Workout or have a dance party. Lots of them.
- Invite someone over to dinner or host a playdate!
- Take vitamins, go to bed earlier, and drink lots of water.
- Schedule more time with people you love
- Look for ways to make little things extra special – get the most out of tubby time, bedtime, after school snack, quiet time, etc.
- Start spring cleaning early
- Retail therapy is a thing or put on a cute outfit or dress
- A simple staycation can do wonders. Book one night at a hotel with or without kids, just because.
- Write a to do lists even if it’s just a list of movies
Here’s another fun list of activities to entertain kids on rainy bad weather days :)
How do you guys beat those winter blues???? Inquiring minds want to know so be sure to share in the comments!